Friday, September 05, 2008

Laugh Out Loud

Or as my grandpa would say "Shut my mouth wide open!"
From TPM
GOP Congressman: Calling Obama "Uppity" Wasn't Racist
Rep. Lynn Westmoreland, a Georgia Republican, released the following statement in defense of his having called Barack Obama "uppity": "I've never heard that term used in a racially derogatory sense. It is important to note that the dictionary definition of 'uppity' is 'affecting an air of inflated self-esteem --- snobbish.' That's what we meant by uppity when we used it in the mill village where I grew up."


Hello! What a bald faced lie. Lyn Westmoreland is a Georgia white boy and every white Southerner will tell you that calling a black "uppity" is exactly the same as saying that the black person acts or thinks he is a good as a white. It has been that way for hundreds of years. The big difference between now and 50 or a 100 years ago is that we don't typically beat black people for acting "uppity" anymore.

Full disclosure: I am a white southern guy as well and I have lived here all my 59 years.

No comments: