Saturday, October 11, 2008

Pizza Cheats

It is really hard for me to resist a good pizza and that is why I usually make my own at home from crust to sauce. The only trouble with pizza is that for some reason my body doesn't respond well to it and my blood sugar goes whacko. You wouldn't think that the carbs in a thin crust pizza made with whole wheat flour wouldn't be a big problem and I usually only have a slice or two. Oh well.

I have found a way to satisfy the pizza flavor need (all except for the crust which is my favorite).

Take nice large Roma tomatoes and cut them in half lengthwise. Hollow out the middle with a melon baller or spoon so that you are just left with the outside hull. Place them open side up on a flat pan (I use a pizza pan) and drizzle with a little olive oil, a little kosher salt and a grind of black pepper. Cut some chunks of mozzarella (I like the fresh) that will fit in the hollow of the tomato. On top of the chunk of cheese in each tomato half sprinkle some chopped fresh basil and then top with some fresh grated Parmesan cheese and drizzle with just a little more olive oil. Roast in a 350 degree oven until the tops begin to brown and the tomatoes are cooked, maybe twenty minutes. This makes a nice side dish or a warm snack and you get all the flavors (except the glorious bread) and greatly reduce the carbs.

You can, of course, use dried herbs, or different herbs and they will be nice as well. The combination of chedar and thyme would be nice or Feta and oregano would be very Greek and tasty maybe with the addition of some Kalamata olive bits to liven things up.

No comments: