Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Pile On

I would like to add my tiny voice to the thundering of Atrios, Wolcott and Digby, among others, who take exception to Andrew Sulllivan's stupid and thoughless comments about the soldier saying that he would rather be helping the tsunami victims than fighting a war.

"I'd much rather be doing this than figthing a war," - helicopter pilot Lt. Cmdr. William Whitsitt, helping the survivors of the south Asian tsunami.

As a veteran what really burns me is the following crap out of Andrew's mouth:

"I'm sorry but I pay for those soldiers to fight in a volunteer army. They are servants of people like me who will never fight. Yes, servants of civil masters."

Digby was right to quote Dwight Eisenhower--

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron." --Dwight Eisenhower 1953 speech

And attaturk adds an additional quote from Eisenhower

"I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can,
only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity"


People like Sullivan can really try my committment to non-violence. And people pay him for this crap.
Fuck You Andy!



No comments: