Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Been Busy

Been busy with this and that so it really hasn't been happening here. Yesterday my daughter came to spend the day and help me with all the garden and yard chores that have piled up. We got the beds at the end of the driveway planted in Lantana and got the bed by the garage all fixed up with new Mexican Heather. We also tackled the front bed under the bay window. Out with the Nandina and in with Hellebores and Astilbe(sp?). Both are shade lovers and this bed is on the north side of the house and almost never gets direct sun. She loves to garden and is much more agile than I so it takes much less time to get a project done with her on the team.

I did take an hour or so this afternoon and make my first batch of cheese. Mozzarella and it was very nice and very easy. I'm a little surprised at the amount of whey that is left out of a gallon of milk after you extract the 1 pound of cheese out of it. Milk probably weighs about the same as water which I think is about 9 pounds per gallon so the percent yield is pretty low. The thing is I hate to waste all that is left. I did use a cup of it to make pizza dough but all the rest is down the drain.

I did make a pizza to celebrate my new cheese. Basically a Pizza Margherita with nothing but some thinly sliced tomatoes, olive oil, basil and the fresh mozzarella. Store bought tomatoes but we'll soon fix that. Even with the tomato limitation it was very good, if I do say so myself.

No comments: