Saturday, June 25, 2011

Very Interesting

Encouraging
An extreme eight-week diet of 600 calories a day can reverse Type 2 diabetes in people newly diagnosed with the disease, says a Diabetologia study.
Newcastle University researchers found the low-calorie diet reduced fat levels in the pancreas and liver, which helped insulin production return to normal.
Seven out of 11 people studied were free of diabetes three months later, say findings published in the journal.
I am a Type 2 diabetic and I would love to rid myself of the need to spend nearly 400 bucks a month for various meds (the 400 includes Lipitor BTW but the big hitter is Actos at almost $260 a month). The thing is, while I don't really eat that much, a 600 calorie a day diet for 8 weeks would surely be almost impossible for me to follow. I would have to be locked up. 600 calories is not very much food and my handful of peanuts for a snack and a couple of glasses of wine would slam me for a day. My occasional 'big breakfast' with hash browns or grits, bacon, eggs and toast would zap me for days. I love salads and veges as much as the next guy but 600 calories? Goddess forbid a couple of sausage biscuits.

No comments: