Friday, March 28, 2014

Odds and Ends

It's a rainy day so gardening is out but there is other stuff to do. Did manage to get to the grocery and Trader Joe's so that's out of the way for week or so.

Discovered that Kroger is now carrying Homestead Creamery products. Milk in old fashioned glass bottles (deposit required). I bought a quart of buttermilk and it is actually real buttermilk (whole milk and live cultures). I had pretty much given up on buttermilk from the grocery as it is now all low fat and actually dead with additional things added...doesn't even taste like buttermilk. The first thing I did when I got home was pour a big glass and gulp it down. Rich, creamy and almost too thick to pour. Brilliant.

I also bought some beef bologna at Kroger. After I finished putting away the groceries I satisfied my craving for a fried bologna sandwich. I just have to indulge in such things every once in a while.

Kroger had some thin sliced top round on sale and it's the perfect thing for braciole but somehow (old timers disease?) I was thinking of rouladen which is made from the same slice of meat so in my confusion I came away without the required ham. I could sill make rouladen which doesn't require the ham but I was leaning Italian not German.

Trader Joes's had a big special on frozen pizzas. Imported from Italy no less. They were pretty cheap, $3.99, so I bought a Margherita and a 4 cheese. It's something I never do as I prefer my homemade pies and sauce  but I thought WTH, worth a shot. Sometimes TJ's really surprises with the quality of their stuff. I'll report.

Oh! I've decided on German so rouladen it will be. I'll post my recipe in a separate post next for those of you feeling like German food.

No comments: