Saturday, April 16, 2005

Book Meme

Jane over at Firedoglake passed the "book meme" (not really a meme) on to me. Since having her mad at me is most assuredly a bad thing I am herewith answering the call. After I have some time to stew I may change my mind but I have to catch a plane.

You’re stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?

The Book – On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are by Alan Watts was the most important book I have ever read and it started me on a path of discovery that is still underway. It is truly a dangerous book.


Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?


Being a fictional character myself I have had not only crushes but torrid love affairs with dozens of other fictional characters. Most memorable probably being Maureen Johnson Long from Heinlen’s Time Enough for Love and To Sail Beyond the Sunset. Then again, Menolly the Harper from Anne McCafferty’s Pern series was special as was The Rowan from the Anne’s Talents series.

What are you currently reading?

Dropping Ashes on the Buddha by Stephen Mitchell – about the teachings of Zen Master Seung Sahn

The last book you bought is:
Small Wonder by Barbara Kingsolver bought it on a whim in the Atlanta Airport and loved it. Didn’t know who Barbara was then but look forward to reading more.

The last book you read:
Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich

Five books you would take to a deserted island:

The Dragon Trilogy by Anne McCafferty for fun
Time Enough for Love by Heinlen because I never tire of reading it.
In My Own Way by Alan Watts for inspiration
Precision Nirvana by Deane Shapiro for mental maintenance
Zen Flesh, Zen Bones since it is the best collection of Zen writings I know

No comments: