Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Oh Boy! Viper Teams

Let's put on our worst case scenario beanies on and extrapolate this news forward into our next traveling adventure. Can we say paranoid? Are these folks going to be as quick on the trigger as our friends in Miami? I am 100% for security but I am not sure if this is the answer. This step might need some review by the traveling public before implementation.

According to internal Transportation Security Administration documents, the program calls for newly created "Visible Intermodal Protection and Response" teams -- called "Viper" teams -- to take positions in public areas along Amtrak's Northeast Corridor and Los Angeles rail lines; ferries in Washington state; and mass transit systems in Atlanta, Philadelphia and Baltimore. Viper teams will also patrol the Washington Metro system.

Somehow I seem to be getting pictures of being stopped at random on the metro and asked for my papers. It's beginning to look a lot like the bad dream is going to get worse. Somebody pinch me. Did they say "Viper" teams? That just gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling all over.

No comments: