Monday, June 30, 2008

Powerful Read

I got home Friday to find that my copy of Joe Bageant's book "Deer Hunting with Jesus" had finally shown up. I finished all but the last chapter over the weekend. I can't recommend it highly enough. Even though I grew up in the South and my relatives and my family are the ones Joe is talking about (America's working class/rednecks) it was a powerful and eye opening book. Joe lays out clearly what drives this huge part of American society, why they vote like they do and why they think like they do and why, when they vote, they invariably seem to vote against their own self interests. Guns, fundamentalist religion, living paycheck to paycheck, it is all there in spades.

Speaking of America's working class I am back in Augusta this week for another round with the corporate types. It was a nice relief last week actually working with the folks in the warehouse and distribution center. No corporate politics just getting the work done. This place reeks with all the intrigue and backstabbing that go along with a corporate office. Not very pleasant. Fortunately, it is a short week.

No comments: