Saturday, July 21, 2012

Geekness

My geekness overcame me the other day and I ordered a Google Nexus 7 tablet. I was looking for something mobile a little larger than my phone and this (for $199) seemed like the answer plus all the reviews were excellent. It came this morning and while I have just had time to play with it for a few minutes I can tell you that it rocks.
A little scary???. I opened the box, turned it on and it asked me for my Google password. It already know who I was and once I entered the password it hooked in my calendar and proceeded to remind me that I have to go to work at 1:15p and that it was raining where I was. Since I ordered it directly from Google they installed my Google name before they shipped it. Very cool.

I'll play with it some more but right now I have to go pick tomatoes in the rain before I head to work.

7 comments:

LeftLeaningLady said...

Nice! I have tinkered with the idea of a tablet and have no interest in one that costs over $500, so keep me informed about this one. Wi-Fi only, I assume? 

fallenmonk said...

 haven't had time to play with it much but for 199 dollars it is pretty snappy. great screen and very easy to use. The voice action stuff seems really cool but I need to play with it some. It came with a 25$ coupon for Google Play which means that net it was only 175 and it is definitely a Kindle Fire killer.

David said...

If it sticks its nose that far and that early into my personal life I wouldn't touch one if they paid me!  Batesy would have a fit at the thought of Big Evil Corporate America spying on his tedious private life. 

Steve Bates said...

I'm afraid I'm not fond of miniatures... computers, bank accounts, women. :-) A few weeks ago I played around with a friend's new iPad. It was impressive, but for someone with peripheral neuropathy, it was also exasperating. Give me a widescreen laptop with something close to full-size keys... power is a problem on all of 'em, but smaller portable computing devices just don't meet my needs. Trying to text on my ordinary cell phone makes me curse at least as much as answering Duffer does.

Big Evil Corporate America (Inc.?) wouldn't care about my admittedly tedious private life... one woman, fifteen years now. OTOH, Duffer might fill his own void by tracking me. If he decides to do so, he might want to brush up on superstring theory and the latest at the LHC. Otherwise, I might find him a boring conversationalist...

Steve Bates said...

 I don't know about Fallenmonk's device, but the iPad was WiFi... and connection was a dream. It found my local network; I logged in; I was in... just like that. But as you say, iPads are too expensive for my taste.

fallenmonk said...

 yes just wifi but very slick. it also has bluetooth and near field as well as android beam.

LeftLeaningLady said...

I love my Kindle, but it's a Generation 2, made only for reading. I am great with that. But I have no interest in a Fire. I would rather have an Android device. I love my phone, but posting or texting gets annoying.