Friday, July 20, 2012

Not A Good Friday

I've got really nothing constructive to add to the discussion of the Aurora shooting. It was a senseless tragedy and the perp is obviously  mind sick and needed help before he exploded. I will say that the calls from some on the pro gun front saying "that if someone had been armed in the place this wouldn't have happened." Something about an exchange of gun fire in a crowded dark theater doesn't jive with no casualties. This is just another tragedy that won't make any sense (to a sane person) no matter what you do or  say about it. I am pretty sure, however, that putting more guns on the street isn't going to stop things like this from happening again and if anything will make them more prevalent.

2 comments:

LeftLeaningLady said...

What a horrible, awful thing. I am in total agreement with you on the gun thing, yet, I feel that maybe I should start carrying? 


I cannot even breathe with the thought that MY child - MINE - could have been part of this.

Steve Bates said...

The offensive statement... and it is offensive... is a ritual that gun nuts engage in after every incident of mass murder by firearm. I don't know if they're trying to persuade themselves or persuade us: the latter is a useless undertaking. NO additional gunfire in such a situation could possibly have had any effect other than to make matters worse.