Friday, September 14, 2012

Cervelle de Canut

I haven't posted anything cooking related in a while and have a few minutes before I head off to work. I thought of this today while doing my French lesson and it is something I fell in love with while I was working in Lyon. Since Cervelle de Canut literally translates to "brains of the silk weaver" there is a good chance that this concoction originated in Lyon as it was the silk capital of Europe for a long time. This stuff is addictive but oh so good and I shall make a batch tomorrow.

Cervelle de Canut

1-1/2 cups fromage blanc (traditional)
  or fresh whole-milk ricotta (drained for an hour or so)
or a mixture of Greek style yogurt and cream cheese
or just plain Greek yogurt drained as well
1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
1 tablespoon finely chopped Italian parsley
1 teaspoon finely chopped tarragon
1-1/2 teaspoons finely chopped shallots
1 clove finely chopped garlic
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1-1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste





 This makes enough for 6 servings or so but like I said it is very good and goes down very well with a little great French bread and some nice red wine. A Cote du Rhone would be appropriate.

Mix  all this together and let the flavors blend for a couple of hours in the fridge. You can adjust the thickness of the final product with a bit of milk. In Lyon it is typically served with toast and boiled potatoes but it is good just with fresh veges as a dip or as a salad dressing with bitter greens like arugula or frisse.

I actually think I prefer the drained Greek yogurt version but I am a yogurt person and actually the cheese is just a vehicle to get all the herbs and garlic into your mouth.

No comments: