Sunday, September 23, 2012

Lazy Sunday

Yesterday was a grueling day at work. I was alone in the garden center for most of the day and it was continuous and I mean non-stop. What's worse is the "lot guy" didn't show up and that means I was on the hook to find someone else to load pine straw and mulch or do it myself when there wasn't a line at my register(which wasn't often). Yesterday also happened to be Everybody in Roswell Go to Home Depot and Buy a Lot of Pine Straw Day). I don't know exactly how much was sold but the best part of a trailer load disappeared and a trailer load is about 700 bales. Needless to say I could feel it this morning and so I decided that I needed to chill.

I did manage to make a "lazy Susan" for Madam to put under her huge doll house for the Christmas display so it now will rotate and you can view all sides. I watered and did a little grocery shopping and even managed to get two good hours in on the guitar and am pleased with the results...I just hope teach is on Thursday.

Felt the need for comfort food today so I decided an old fashioned pot roast was in order... it is braising away now in the oven and has filled the house with that heavenly smell. I'll put the carrots, onions, and celery in in a bit and let them roast for 45 minutes and then put in the potatoes. We should be enjoying it in a couple of hours. Nothing fancy, just browned the chuck roast(well salted and peppered) in some olive oil, deglazed with some red wine and then covered the roast with beef stock and a pint of crushed tomatoes(home canned), 5 cloves of garlic, three bay leaves and a tablespoon or so of dried thyme. Braise for 2 hours in a 325 oven then add the carrots, onions and celery, oh! and remove the bay leaves. Another 45 minutes then the  add potatoes for another 45 minutes and you have and old fashioned pot roast. I'm going to be happy.

Did I mentioned that I treated myself to a nice big (750ml) bottle of Duvel the other day while I was at Trader Joe's. I am enjoying it now and if you haven't tried the Belgian Trappist ales then you are missing something great. Yes, it is a bit strong (8.5%) but nicely balanced and a clear, clean taste. And yes, I will finish the bottle in short order. I only treat myself once or twice a year and no, there is no guilt.

Off to add the veges to the pot. Hope you are enjoying your Sunday...I am.

No comments: