Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thanksgiving Changeup

I think I have all the shopping done for the Thursday repast. I just can't seem to get excited about turkey even though I like turkey it just doesn't thrill me as a 'special' meal. I usually do something different for the feast and this year it will be braised lamb shanks. They are actually pretty easy and don't require a lot of tending and are not too expensive to boot. I do them the classic way with carrots, onion, garlic and celery, fresh rosemary and thyme. Brown them and then slow cook them in a Dutch oven with chicken stock and red wine until they are almost fall off the bone tender. I'll serve them over whole wheat couscous this year but only because my daughter doesn't like polenta. A nice Greek country salad with cukes, tomatoes, red onion, Kalamata olives and real Greek Feta and another side dish or two(haven't decided) will make for plenty to eat. I will make cranberry sauce and have fresh bread. The starter will be the leek and potato soup which was requested by my daughter. There will be pumpkin pie and a French Apple Tart to choose from for dessert. Should be nice.

Is everyone (except Steve and RT) doing the turkey thing or are you going do something different as well?

Oh, I will probably get a turkey after the holiday when they are dirt cheap...maybe I can afford one of the free range ones then but even a modest one was nearly a $100 last week. (and yes I went to Whole Foods as it is the only place that has good lamb anywhere nearby but I limited my purchase to the lamb and the West Va Mountaineer apples I mentioned the other day)

No comments: