Monday, February 22, 2010

Recovery Day

I managed to get 600 or so pounds of lime spread on the garden over the weekend ahead of the rain and I can sure feel it this morning. I was supposed to do it in the fall but the wet weather prohibited it but it is done finally. It was still to soft to use a spreader so I had to do it by hand. What a job.

I also placed my big seed orders this weekend. I save seeds from a lot of things like tomatoes, beans okra, squash and peppers but things like cucumbers, squash, potatoes, sweet potatoes don't do so well as they cross pollinate when you have more than one variety planted in a single garden. You can save the seed (for insurance) but for a reliable crop you need to get new seed. Sweet potato, seed potato and onion starts are also on the way. Just another couple of weeks and the spring planting will start. Peas, potato, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, spinach, and onion plus a variety of lettuces. Can't wait. Now we just have to see if Mother Nature lets the ground dry enough to plow.

No comments: