Sunday, May 29, 2005

Lazy Holiday Weekend

Finally, a lazy weekend with nothing pressing. No little jobs, no little errands, no nothing. Just put a nice little Boston Butt, a slab of ribs and a free range chicken in the smoker and in just 6- 8 hours it will render an array of delicious BBQ. Got a couple of six packs of Anchor Steam Liberty Ale chilling in the fridge. I can't see anything wrong with the world right now(If I don't think beyond my own little world). I don't have to travel next week. Tomorrow is the annual Memorial day shindig on the square which is always pretty nice. The city and the Rotary do a nice job and a couple of thousand people turn up to eat some Slopes BBQ and listen to patiotic speeches and honor our men and women, past and present who sacrificed for our liberty. I'll get to stand up when they call out for all the Navy vets to stand and I'll get to tear up when out pipe and drums pipe in the colors with Amazing Grace and march around the grounds with Scotland the Brave.
I always have a good time even now when I am so distressed about the situation in Iraq and Afghanistan and the wasted lives. Was it last year or the year before when Paul Tibbets was the guest of honor? I got him to autograph his biography.
Everyone make sure you take time this weekend to fly the flag and stop to honor all the men and women who have served and are serving.
Right now America is sucking a lot but its heart is still there and I can only hope that this current nightmare will be over soon.

No comments: