Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Patience, Patience


This weather is making it really hard to stay in my office and concentrate on the things I need to be doing. Right now(1pm) it is 76F and sunny. All my pepper, tomato, eggplant, artichoke, and other plants are out in the sun and just begging to be put into the garden. It's too early. It's too early. It does feel like spring has sprung though, as evidenced by the picture of the blooming Bradford pears across the street from the house.
I just have to be patient for the non frost tolerant stuff...just a few more weeks and it should be safe for them to go into the garden and to begin planting the other stuff. I just need to be satisfied that most of the early spring stuff is in and growing as I finished up the Pak Choy and other Chinese cabbage last night along with a planting of spinach. The seed potatoes will be here soon from Seed Savers Exchange and they will keep the gardening bug in check for a while. If you are interested I have La Ratte (a French fingerling), Yukon Gold, Desiree (red) and Austrian Crescent potatoes on the way. This year I am going to experiment with growing method. Lay out the seed potatoes on newspaper in the garden and cover with 12 inches of mulch(hay or grass clippings) and just keep adding to the mulch as the potato plants come through. No tilling or hilling and supposedly very easy to harvest. We shall see.

NOW BACK TO WORK!

No comments: