Sunday, November 28, 2010

Leek and Potato Soup Kicked Up

I decided it was 'wintry' enough today to harvest some leeks from the garden and make a pot of leek and potato soup....real simple... roughly an equal amount of diced leeks and potatoes with enough chicken broth to cover. Simmer until the potatoes are done and then hit it with the immersion blender to your desired consistency. Tonight I kicked it up with a bit of shredded sharp cheddar cheese. It makes a different soup and it is very nice. I should add that I put dried thyme, a bay leaf and about a teaspoon of fresh garlic in the soup as well...just in case somebody jumps on this as some kind of recipe. I also sweat the leeks down before adding the broth and potatoes. Salt and pepper of course and you can make the soup richer by adding a bit of sour cream or yogurt as well. Minimonk doesn't eat vegetables but she eats this soup.

No comments: