Saturday, June 29, 2013

Google Reader Almost Gone

I really like Reader but it will go away on Monday. I've just switched everything over to use Feedly and it was very simple and painless since Google Reader is still active. While Feedly still actually uses the Google API it will switch to its own API when the lights go out on Monday. We'll see how seamless that transistion is. If you are going to switch to anything, including Feedly, do so this weekend so all your stuff can be integrated automatically. I looked at a lot of options and Feedly came out on top for me. It will take time to get used to all the differences but I like that there is an Android app which seems to work quite well and it too imported all the settings from Google Reader without a hitch. I installed it on my Nexus tablet and HTC 1 without any problems

Sorry to see Google reader go but things change and maybe Feedly will be even better once I get used to it. I also looked at Newsblur but they aren't currently accepting free signups so I couldn't test it without forking over 24 bucks. Feedly is still free.

1 comment:

Mustang Bobby said...

I was able to get a free sign up at Newsblur. Just my dumb luck, I guess.