Sunday, April 29, 2007

Old Fashioned Cukes and Onions

Hope everyone else has had a nice and relaxing weekend. I succumbed today to the devil in the back of my head that has been telling me since my bad experience with BBQ ribs at the Rendezvous in Memphis a couple of weeks ago to have some real ribs.
Yesterday I bought a couple of slabs of ribs and gave them a good rub with my dry rub. They rested quietly overnight and today I cooked them slowly over a nice little hardwood fire for 6 hours. I don't need to tell you how much better they were than the Rendezvous'.

The real purpose of this post is to share a recipe I remembered from my youth wihich is made for for BBQ.

4 cucumbers peeled and sliced into 1/3 of an inch slices. ( I use two of the European ones.)
1 vidalia onion cut in half and sliced very thin
1 cup of apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup of sugar
1/2 tsp of salt
few grinds of black pepper
Mix it all together and chill for a few hours before serving

This is a very traditional Southern side dish and it especially nice in the spring when the vidalia onions are in season. Just dissovle the sugar in the vinegar and add the rest of the stuff. This is simple and really nice with BBQ or southern fried chicken. Don't skip the few hours of rest in the fridge though it make all the difference.

No comments: