Sunday, September 02, 2007

Holiday Dinner

I hope everyone is having a nice holiday. I am doing what I love to do and that is putting together a dinner party for tonight. Actually, I have been getting the early stuff done since yesterday. Today is the last minute stuff. Seeding tomatoes, making the dessert, toasting polenta cakes and the like. I just finished putting my bread to rise and it will be ready to form into batards in an hour or two.

You don't have to bring anything unless you have special beverage requirements(Bud, Bud Lite, Miller Lite, etc.) otherwise there are the typical wines and beers(Belgian, English, German, Atlantan) you will find at my house
In case you are wondering the menu is:

Herbed shrimp and garden tomatoes on grilled polenta cakes for a starter. Lots of fresh basil, mint, and parsley from the garden makes a wonderful vinaigrette.

Broiled cod filets marinated in lemon, dill, tarragon and olive oil is the main served with cubed roasted sweet potatoes dressed with just a hint of cumin and butter. Also on the plate will be a small dash of fresh mango salsa for a nice contrast and color. With the main course we will have an inexpensive but very good Rothschild White Bordeaux that will hold up to the herbs on the fish.

Of course there will be small green salad of butter lettuce and with a red wine vinaigrette and a fresh batard of homemade French bread which is rising as I write.

Oh, for dessert we are having a fresh crostada of peaches, plums and blueberries with a nice creme anglais for those like to gild the lily. I made the pate brise last night and it all ready to roll out. I don't want to make it too far ahead as I want it just cooled to room temp when it is time to eat. Besides, no sense heating up the oven twice and the the bread will come out in plenty of time to cook the crostada.

Dinner is at seven but there will be some light snacks out so come early enough to have a glass of wine before dinner.

No comments: