Saturday, July 12, 2008

New Trick with Cherry Tomatoes

I had mentioned that I would be inundated with cherry tomatoes this week when I returned from Asheville. It was a safe prediction. I was trying to figure out something to do differently with them when I remembered that I had bought a nice big container if good Greek Feta cheese a couple of weeks ago and thought I might try it with some tomatoes that had been warmed in a quick saute. You get warmed cherry tomatoes a lot in France for breakfast and I really like them and I have a lot of cherry tomatoes to eat so why not for dinner.

Here's the trick I discovered. This recipe/technique is for two people. Two hands full of nice ripe cherry tomatoes. Put them in a medium saute pan with a bit of olive oil over medium heat. Meanwhile, chop up a couple of tablespoons of fresh basil(flat leaf parsley would work as well). Crumble up about a half cup of Feta cheese(I use the real stuff from Greece but domestic or French should work as well). As soon as the tomatoes are heated through and before they begin to break up, sprinkle in the basil or parsley and the feta cheese. The cheese will quickly melt and form a lovely sauce. The cheesy and salty flavor of the Feta is a perfect combination with the tomatoes. I will definitely use this technique again with other fresh vegetables. I always seem to have some Feta around as it keeps really well if it is kept in its brine.

No comments: