Monday, May 06, 2013

"Cooked" by Michael Pollan

I have just started reading Cooked, Michael Pollan's newest book and even though I am just barely into it it is resonating in a big way. The importance of good food and actually cooking it yourself even when it is time consuming and much easier to buy it prepared is something I harp about all the time. I can already recommend this book to anyone that cares about the food they eat and cook.

It doesn't hurt that the first section is about fire and he starts out in Ayden, North Carolina at the Skylight which is ground zero for the Eastern Carolina BBQ tradition of cooking whole hogs very slowly over nothing but oak and hickory coals. If you have been around here for any length of time you already know I consider Eastern Carolina BBQ the pinnacle of the art and all the rest from Texas to Kansas to Memphis, while good, still 2nd tier. I'll probably get a little push back from that last statement but I have the satisfaction of knowing that Mr. Pollan agrees with me.

7 comments:

karmanot said...

No push back my friend, but have you ever tasted Kailua pork---buried and wrapped in taro leaves? Also, Detroit turns out excellent BBQ on 8 Mile Road. I wish I could taste that ECBBQ right now! :-)

fallenmonk said...

You forget that I lived in Hawaii for 5 years and yes it is very nice but it really isn't BBQ in the classic sense of cooking over an open fire. I've helped prepare the pigs for several huge luaus. I haven't tried the Detroit BBQ which I am sure is good. I'm just saying that in ECBBQ meat is focus not the sauce just a little vinegar and pepper. you can actually taste the pig. The same focus on the meat applies to Kalua pig and while the Ti leaves and banana leaves bring a little to the party it really is about the slow roasted pig meat.

karmanot said...

MMMMMM Yum! I was there 72-75 on Oahu-----lived in a little two room on the side of Punchbowl. Loved those carefree days!

Anonymous said...

Great artісlе, totally what I needed.


Alѕο viѕit my homеpage;
hcg injection

fallenmonk said...

I like the California Tri-tip but the suckers are hard to find in these parts and the so called butchers around here give you a blank state when you ask about them. Every once in a while you will find them at TJ's in those shrink wrap packages already marinated.

fallenmonk said...

I/we left there in Dec of 73, I lived in a little cinder-block bungalow in Mokulaiea on the North Shore right on the beach....and yes those were glorious days. the last year(after Madam and I married) I mostly lived at her place right behind Kahala Mall so we were almost neighbors. Cool!

karmanot said...

YES! tri-tips......