Wednesday, August 02, 2006

I Disagree

Billmon has a post up that I just have to comment on. I have been stewing over it for a couple of hours and trying to see all sides. I spent quite a bit of time reading some of the comments on Steve Gilliard's rebuttal. Here is the last bit of Billmon's post.

Maybe that was true, once. But I've finally come to realize that in modern-day America there is no rock -- just a vast, featureless expanse of reactionary ocean, like something from the set of Waterworld, except without a gilled Kevin Costner.

So here's my confession: At this point I really don't give a flying fuck whether the Democrats take the House or the Senate back. No, wait, that's not true. The truth is I hope they don't. It wouldn't save us from what's coming down the road, in the Middle East and elsewhere. It wouldn't force President Psychopath to change course or seek therapy. But it would make sure that the "left" (ha ha ha) gets more than its fair share of blame for the approaching debacle.

That may well be the natural role of the Democratic Party in our one-and-a-half party system, but I don't want any part of it any more. Which means that when I say it's a bad sign (consensus opinion always being wrong) that Charlie Cook now thinks the Republicans are likely to lose their House and/or Senate majorities in November, I just mean that it's a bad sign for the Democratic Party and its professional hangers on.

For the rest of us, and for whatever is left of this country's soul, it doesn't really matter. We've already lost.

Like I said above I have stewed over this for quite a while and I guess it all boils down to whether I am willing to admit that we have failed to preserve America as it was envisioned to be.

In my case the answer is no. I recognize that regardless of which party controls the House and Senate next year and which party has the Whitehouse in 2008 that there are no easy answers or quick fixes for what is troubling our nation and the world. Regardless, there will be the CEO's with their unjust and obscene wealth and there will be the Fred Phelps and the Jame Dobsons. There will still be hate and greed...all of the worst of this country will still be here. I don't expect all of our troubles to go away as if by magic. I'm not looking for it all to change for the better overnight. I just want something to change.

I, by all rights, should be a raving GOP whore. I have a good job, nice house, money in the bank, 401K's and a new car. I am a member of a country club and don't hesitate to spend a $100 on a nice dinner out every once in a while. Most of my friends are Republicans as are most of my business colleagues. They all question why I am such a raving liberal and progressive as I have every reason to want to see less taxes and maintenance of the status quo. They all get a funny look on their faces when I tell them that I am awake and aware that I am not alone in this world. I know everyone can't have everything I have but if I can help narrow the gap for my fellows Americans and others around the world then I will benefit in the long run. So many of the painful and misery causing things in this world are easily addressable if we would just put a portion of the effort and gold into solving them that we put into preparing for and actually making war.

Even if the Dems take the whole enchilada in November there is not going to be a huge change in things overnight but things will begin to change. The poison and infection that is afflicting us is not going to be cast aside with the flick of a finger but just as lighting a single candle makes the world a little brighter the Democrats will begin to address some of the issues. One step at a time they will address healthcare, education, poverty, minimum wage, security, retirement, energy costs, global warming and all the other issues that are being worsened or ignored by our government today. We won't get it right the first time but each step will help thousands and millions of people in some way, small or large.

There are a lot of corporate whores in the incumbent Democrats but over time and if we pay attention we will identify and target them for removal. We will replace them with people that put their responsibility to the people ahead of their pocketbooks and egos. We have seen what turning our government over to the corporations has done for us and we will remember it.

Inheriting the mess that has been created by Bush and his cronies will be a monumental burden to bear and not solved easily but it can and will be solved. I am not ready to give up on my ideals and my belief in our country. I believe in what the banner at the top of this blog says and will not give up on the American Dream.

No comments: