Wednesday, January 16, 2008

More Veges, Less Meat

You might have noticed that I posted a vegetarian recipe yesterday and yes, that is what was for dinner at Casa Monk last night. It was very nice and I have already decided that I can use some of the fundamentals and make quite a few different dishes within the same general concept. Beans instead zucchini or maybe something like canned artichoke hearts or even fresh spinach. I am not typically a casserole kind of cook but there could be hundreds of possibilities maybe even some with a little meat of some kind. Regardless, that's not the reason for this post.

There was a 2006 UN report entitled ""Livestock's Long Shadow: Environmental Issues and Options." which talked about factory farms, overgrazing, and water pollution.

The report found that 18 percent of global warming emissions come from raising cows, chickens, pigs, turkeys and the other animals we eat. Let's put that in perspective. We all worry and fret over all the cars, SUVs, airplanes, and other types of fossil fuel based transportation but the reality is that combined they only account for about 13 percent of global emissions. The raising of meat for food accounts for 40% more. Do you think all the houses and office buildings in the world accounts for a big chink of the total emissions...well they do but it is only 8 percent.

The UN report also details how 70 percent of the Amazon rain forests have been cut down for grazing, and fully one-third of the planet's arable land is now used for growing feed for livestock. The UN predicts that global meat production will need to more than double by 2050 to keep pace with increasing demand.

Now I am the first to admit that I like meat, though I don't insist on it for every meal. I will probably never give up my insane love for crisp bacon, or pork BBQ or even the occasional really good steak. I am however making a commitment to reducing the amount of meat in my diet. I am trying hard to reduce my "carbon footprint" and one obvious and also healthy way is to further reduce meat consumption. It is already taken hold in Europe where "meat reducers" are adding an additional day or two a week where they are foregoing meat. I might even reduce my grocery bill a bit and it might also help me lose some weight. We shall see.

To that end I am going to post some tested vegetarian recipes here occasionally that I try and like or invent and like. Madam was a vegetarian for a few years and I kind of dabbled. We also have vegetarian friends that I cook for on a regular basis so I am not a novice at it. I also have a pretty good collection of vegetarian cookbooks to draw from so surely I will stumble across something that will tickle a taste bud and maybe let you skip a meal or two with meat.

Oh and don't look for pure vegan from me unless it is accidental. Meat is one thing but eggs, cheese and milk are another thing altogether.

No comments: