Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Cold Snap Calls for Muffns

The bottom fell out last night with regards to temperature. It was pretty nice yesterday with  a high in the forties but it fell to 24 overnight and this morning there are snow flurries but overall just partly cloudy. Today is 'old folks day' at Kroger so its shopping day(5% is 5% what can I say). Madam is out for lunch with the girls and then we'll do the shopping. In the meantime I am going to make a batch of whole wheat muffins. I was triggered by Bittman's Minimalist column in the NYT today where he reproduces a recipe he learned from Grandma Starlight in the old Haight-Ashbury days of San Fran. I have the same recipe(from the same source but indirectly via Tassajara) but haven't made it for years. It's a really good and a truly completely whole wheat muffin that isn't cloyingly sweet and uses fruit or squash to supplement the sweetness and retain some moistness. I make a batch and see if it as good as I remember and if it is I will post my version a bit later. I've made them with apple sauce, banana, and canned pumpkin and they are all good but my favorite was apple and that is what I will make today. I think I got away from making these when I discovered '6 week bran muffins' which I love. It's the recipe that uses bran and buttermilk and you can keep the batter for the muffins in the fridge for up to six weeks and just take out enough to make a couple of muffins when you want a  nice hot muffin. If anyone is interested, let me know, and I'll post that one too.

No comments: