Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Butternut Squash Soup

In honor of the cooler weather I made a batch of butternut squash soup last night. It is so simple and good that I wonder why I don't make it more often especially since I have a large basket of the things in the basement.

1 good sized butternut squash roasted
1 medium yellow onion chopped
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter for sauteing the onion
1 quart low sodium chicken broth
1 clove of garlic chopped
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or rosemary
1/2 to 1 cup heavy cream to taste
salt and pepper to taste


A good sized butternut will make enough soup for 4 people. You'll want about 3-4 cups of cooked pulp.
Cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Put the squash cut side down on a baking sheet and roast it in a 350F oven for an hour. I use parchment paper to reduce clean up time and I hit the cut side of the squash with a bit of canola spray. Remove the squash from the oven and set it aside until cool enough to handle. While it is cooling, saute 1 medium yellow onion(chopped) until it just begins to caramelize...right at the end add a clove of garlic chopped finely. Once you can handle the squash, scoop out the pulp and along with the onions add it to a quart of low sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth. Season with a bit of salt and pepper and I like about a teaspoon of fresh thyme(rosemary works too). Simmer for thirty minutes. I blend mine with an immersion blender to make a puree and then add about a half to a cup of heavy cream.

I served mine with cheddar and thyme buttermilk biscuits.

Nice on a cool fall evening.

No comments: