Saturday, October 23, 2010

Money For Nothing and Your Chicks Aren't Free

With apologies to Dire Straits.

I read in the paper this morning that the 'virtual' fence thing along the Mexican border has sucked up a billion dollars or so and proven itself completely useless. The administration and DHS are going to announce 'Oh it's just money' and cancel the whole thing. A lot of contractors made some big bucks, billed some mighty profitable hours so that's OK and some folks in the DHA have a guaranteed job when they are finished feeding at the government trough.

It got me to thinking about this whole DHS thing and TSA. Probably because I was also remembering about the pilot who refused to go through the full body scan at Memphis the other day and the airport shakedown of the Dalai Lama. The thing is I am having trouble remembering any actual thwarting of a terrorist attack or hijacking by all this additional cost and hassle precipitated on us by the DHS/TSA since 9/11. We have paid out billions of dollars but I sure can't remember or see what we have gotten for it other than more hassles. Some events have been prevented but the ones I remember where discovered or thwarted after the perp was on the plane and well on the way. Have they caught anyone with a bomb yet? They have stopped a few people with guns but they weren't hijackers as far as I can remember.

Can someone explain to me what we have gotten from the new TSA bureaucracy other than a big pain in the ass and a huge, huge bill. I might be wrong but I don't feel like we are getting such a good deal.

No comments: