Friday, August 24, 2007

Concert for Bangladesh

I watched the video of the concert tonight on PBS and it really brought back some memories. 1971 was the beginning of my realization that what I had been told was real all my life was merely a vague description of reality. The Concert for Bangladesh was a "spiritual" experience for me and it will always loom large in my memory. It was the first such "charity" concert on such a grand scale and by today's standard would be considered an abject failure since it only raised about a quarter of a million dollars. Record and later video and DVD sales added to this but it was still pretty modest.

Eric Clapton was in the throes of his heroin addiction and nearly missed the whole thing but still played the solo to "My Guitar Gently Weeps" to perfection. Bob Dylan did a masterful performance of "Blowing in the Wind" and George Harrison was amazing. Truly a memorable experience. If you have never watched the concert then you should.

No comments: