Friday, August 03, 2007

Just Waiting to Happen

I hate to say I told you so but here it is in black and blue. The Star Tribune is reporting tonight that the Minnesota Department of Transportation knew the Mississippi River Bridge was in serious need of repair…and didn’t act:

Structural deficiencies in the Interstate 35W bridge that collapsed Wednesday were so serious that the Minnesota Department of Transportation last winter considered bolting steel plates to its supports to prevent cracking in fatigued metal, according to documents and interviews with agency officials.

The department went so far as to ask contractors for advice on the best way to approach such a task, which could have been opened for bids later this year.

Read the whole thing. It’s frightening...and did I mention that the head of the Minnesota Dept. of Transportion is GOP Lieutenant Governor Carol Molnau chosen replacement for GOP Governor Pawlenty. I think some heads should roll for this. How many other bridges in the nation are in the same shape? Do you regularly cross a bridge or bridges in your daily travels? I do and don't think I won't think about this as I do.

No comments: