Friday, August 03, 2007

Thank You - Mother Nature


Mother Nature hasn't rested while I was off in the heartland. I came home to another good crop of beautiful tomatoes that are calling for possibly an Insalata Caprese or even a nice batch of my favorite Gazpacho. Then again there is the possibility of Pizza Margherita. I must admit that they are starting to exceed my ability to do them all justice since I am traveling all week and Madam just doesn't cook while I am not home. Anyhow, I hope you are getting the chance to enjoy some fresh homegrown tomatoes or at least some locally grown ones from your local farmer's market. This is the season to enjoy them as they won't get any better.

The picture is just a sample of the harvest to show the varieties. If your interested, the two on the right are Granny Cantrell which is a heritage tomato relative of the hybrid beefsteak and a glorious tomato with lots of flesh and a rich taste that screams for a little fresh basil and olive oil. In the back on the left is another heritage variety called Brandywine which is no slouch either when it comes to flavor. The two smaller ones on the left are the old standby Rutgers, a heritage tomato developed by the Campbell Soup Company for its consistent size and flavor and it makes a wonderful marinara or puttanesca sauce. Are you hungry yet?

No comments: