Wednesday, November 21, 2007

"T" Day Minus One

Okay, it is Turkey Day minus one...what Pop calls National Eating Day. While I don't do it every year I am cooking the traditional feast this year. The daughter and son-in-law are coming so at least it will be more than two of us to justify the indulgence and work involved.

Today is pie day primarily. A traditional apple, pumpkin and pecan pies are in the works. I made all the dough for the crusts yesterday so it will just be the rolling out and filling and baking today. Madam has ordered the pecan pie and tradition calls for the pumpkin. Mine is the apple. Sumo gave me a good recipe for a single crust Crunchy Caramel Apple Pie that is worthy but for Thanksgiving the traditional two crust is required.

What does everybody else consider the "must have" pie for Thanksgiving?

I am also going to mix up the cornbread and sausage dressing today and keep it in the fridge so I will just have to run it into the oven tomorrow at the last minute and I will also premake the gravy base so I can just deglaze the turkey pan and thicken it right before serving. I will also mix up my yeast roll dough today and keep it in the refridgerator until tomorrow morning.

Everything else, succotash, green beans, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes and cranberries can all be done tomorrow.

Everyone have a great turkey day tomorrow and if you have any room left stop by for a piece of pie as there will be plenty.

No comments: