Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Nothing Really

I realized this morning that I haven't posted anything here since Friday. No excuse really except that I don't have much going on that is any different than any other weekend. Madam and I are dog sitting for the daughter's two, Megan and Stewart, so we have done some walks and played a little fetch and let them in and let them out. Both are good dogs and are trained to a T. It's very nice to walk them as they understand the rules. You say "wait" and they stop at the intersection until you say "OK". You say "fix" and they stop and lift their paw so you can get the leash out from under. They don't pull and just walk along beside you. Megan does stop and sniff every once in while but usually comes right along after a tug.

The tomato plants have decided to ripen everything at once. Madam and I canned 16 pints of tomato sauce yesterday. Since you have to simmer and reduce the tomatoes by about half that means we peeled, seeded and food milled 16 quarts or 4 gallons of tomatoes yesterday and I picked another basketful this morning. We are definitely set for tomatoes. The okra is going full bore as well and I am picking two meals worth everyday. We've pickled and frozen enough okra for a couple of years and it's still coming. The plants are now so tall that I have to pick as Madam can't reach the tops. Looking at the number of blooms we are going to have as much again as we have had already...will definitely back off on the amount I plant next spring.

So I am off to walk the dogs.

The tropical storm was a fizzle. We got just a little rain and cloudiness but not near what I was hoping for.

No comments: