Thursday, November 17, 2011

Whoops

I awoke to the "blue screen of death" this morning. Everything was fine when I went to bed. I ran the diags and the HD just said "fail" number 7 and I couldn't get any further.
I got in the car and went to Fry's and now have a new Dell XPS 8300. I couldn't believe it but it comes standard with an I5 core processor, 6GB of memory and a 1Tbyte HD plus a 1GB video card. Way more PC than I need but it was still half the price of my old one.
Anyhow, long story short...my last backup was corrupt...not good. So I am faced with starting over. I have taken the old HD over the "Geek stop" and they are going to try and transfer my data to my external drive but in the meantime I am going to try and do what I can to get somewhere normal.
What kind of irritated me was that even though the new box comes with Windows 7 it comes with a crippled copy of Word and Excel and no Outlook. I had to spend another 250 bucks to get MS Office Home and Business really just for Outlook. As much as I use Word I could probably get along but Outlook standalone was $149 all by itself so what the hell. Yeah, I know there are open products just as good but....

No comments: