Sunday, July 26, 2009

Off The Wagon

My mostly vegetarian diet took a big hit today. Knowing that Madam and I would be canning and freezing most of the day I decided that the urge for dead pig was in need of satisfaction. I made a grocery run first thing and found a nice little Boston Butt that needed some love. It spent about seven hours on a slow fire today and produced a wonderful meal of pulled pork BBQ. My okra crop has recovered from the dinner for 48 last weekend so fried okra and cole slaw were the two partners for the BBQ. It was lovely and delicious but we froze the remainders of the BBQ for meals down the road. When you get used to nothing but fresh veges your tastes change I guess and I don't even want to think about meat for a while. I'll enjoy the BBQ again in a couple of weeks and for us Southern boys...you have to have some pork now and again or you die.

And yes...it was another day of 'putting by'...more tomatoes and green beans. We are pretty much caught up on tomatoes but we still have about 9 pounds of green beans to freeze. I guess that will be tomorrow. In addition to the canning and freezing I made a loaf of banana bread and a pan of granola bars for Madam's lunch. I kept looking at the prices for the 'better' bars and decided I could do a lot better and control the ingredients. they're pretty good if I do say so myself. I also got a batch of bread started which will be baked tomorrow. It should have been done today but I ran out of steam. Letting it rest in the fridge overnight won't do anything but improve the flavor. The bummer is I won't have toast for breakfast in the morning.

So yes, there hasn't been much on the old blog but there is only so much time.

I did watch some TV tonight "The Next Food Network Star" and wasn't surprised by the results. I was trying to figure out what I would have fixed for the 3 course meal for all the food stars and am at a loss even considering the $1000 they were allowed to spend on ingredients.

No comments: