Monday, January 14, 2008

Getting Sour

I think I am getting sour on this whole Presidential politics thing. Maybe I am just thinking about it too much. The thing is that the more I stew on it the more I begin to question any reason to get excited about the potential for radical and true progressive change.

Really, how much can a new Democratic candidate do? The hard truth is that Congress is still owned lock, stock and Armani by the big corporations. They owe their positions of wealth and power to big industry, big med, big food and all the rest. How much is the President able to, even if he or she truly want to change things, do against the power of the corporations?

The other harsh reality is that America is flat broke and in hock up to her freedom loving eyeballs and it takes money to make change happen in this country. You can't make the changes we need in this country when there is nothing in the pocket book to pay for it. Depressingly, we probably could have overcome many of the obstacles we are facing today 25 or 30 years ago before we destroyed the middle(working) class in the country by shipping all the jobs overseas and overloaded all our credit cards for foreign made landfill fodder. I read somewhere recently about how the Native Americans sold their America to the Europeans for cheap trinkets and that, in effect, we are doing the same thing with China. Not a perfect analogy but it does make one pause.

Finally, the politics in this country as it is currently played is not for nice people. In order to get into a position to run for President today(and win) you have to sell your soul and come to the game with a fake smile and knives in each boot. I am just not sure that any President whether Democrat or Republican can effectively manage against the big corporations, especially when their pockets are so full of IOU's.

Don't get me wrong...I am still going to avidly watch the process and I will have my favorite and I will vote in the primary and general elections but it is becoming increasingly clear that I am probably going to be disappointed with the results.

No comments: