Thursday, February 09, 2012

Meat Loaf

I have developed a urge for meat loaf and I will make it for dinner tonight. Madam is not a fan but she is not here and it will a done deal before she gets home. I had to run get some ground chuck but I already had some ground veal and pork in the freezer so I am good. You never know there might also be mashed potatoes (I'm not a fan but Madam likes them) to balance and of course there has to be some Dixie butter peas.
I fortunately fought off the urge for buttermilk fried chicken (mostly because I didn't have time to properly brine the chicken ) but the meat loaf wouldn't go away.

I basically use my recipe for meatballs (add Dijon mustard,Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce)and just make a giant meatball which I cook like a loaf of bread on a sheet pan instead of in a loaf pan as you get a better crust and not as much fat. Sauteed onions, fresh parsley, garlic, 2 eggs, bread soaked in milk, tomato paste, a bit of oregano, a dollop of plain Greek yogurt, olive oil, black pepper, salt, Dijon mustard, Tabasco, and Worcestershire sauce with a pound of ground chuck and a half pound each of ground veal and ground pork.  350F for an hour. If you like you can glaze the loaf with a mixture of half catchup and brown sugar about halfway through the cooking.

If I stop and get a chicken on my way home from my haircut first thing in the morning I will have enough time to brine it properly and fried chicken could be on the menu for tomorrow night.

As you can see I have two straight days off this week and I need some kitchen therapy.

No comments: