Sunday, March 11, 2012

Poison Sugar

Today is my third "official day" without sugar of any kind...not even fruit. Whole grain, lean meat, yogurt, eggs vegetables, legumes, etc. This is only for the first 10 days or so and then I can start adding some fruit. Just tow days without any sugars and I added 10 pounds to most of the exercises in my weight routine and 15 pounds to the chest press. I also added 15 additional situps to each of my three sets. I have to believe that the lack of sugar has to be the cause of some of it especially as my fasting blood sugar was 111 this morning when it is normally 130 or 140 and sometimes even higher. Just saying.  I've actually jumped the gun a bit since the program I am following calls for eliminating just sugar the first day, adding a teaspoon of cinnamon the second, eliminating soft drinks and fruit juice the third and "fast carbs" the fourth. I was already doing cinnamon daily and except for my Snapple Green Tea not doing soft drinks. I decided "fast carbs" and sugar could be eliminated from the get go. The next couple of days are eating a good breakfast with eggs and or Greek yogurt which I already do and not eating any fast food which I don't do very often (every week or two I will have a Wendy's cheeseburger so I won't miss fast food). All things considered I am well ahead of the curve. Though I must admit I was tempted this morning to do my traditional Sunday breakfast with bacon, eggs and toast. I opted for oatmeal with cinnamon and Greek yogurt and the gym.

There is also the requirement to drink a liter/quart of water for every 50 pounds of body weight a day which is proving very tough. For me that is 5 liters and that's a lot of water. What's worse is I had a cup of coffee and a cup of tea this morning which means an extra liter. I'll be doing yard and garden work for the rest of the day so maybe I'll have a chance to meet my water quota. It's another gorgeous spring day here in Atlanta and the forecast is for daytime highs in the 70's for the next week. Lots of blooming already happening.

No comments: