Friday, April 13, 2012

Hard Gardening

I'm on the second of two days off and more intensive gardening today. Yesterday I got half the tomatoes planted...that would be 55 plants so far. The balance today plus an almost equal number of pepper plants if I have time. Yesterday were the main season varieties, Celebrity, Rutgers, San Marzano, and Italian Heirloom. Today will be smaller numbers of heirloom varieties. Lemon Drop, Cherokee Purple, Velvet Red, Wapsipincon Peach, Moonglow, Gold Medal and a couple of others. Also have to plant the Aunt Molly's ground cherry which will be a new one for me.
All the squash, beans, cucumbers, okra, corn and all still need to be planted but this is the last day off for a few. I have to keep reminding myself that it is only the middle of April and that I have plenty of time but the warm temperatures are driving me.
This year I am going for low maintenance since I have limited time. Newspaper mulch around the tomatoes, okra, peppers, and eggplant to help with the weeds and heavy mulching of other stuff. Maybe I can stay ahead of the weeds with less work this year.
If the warm temperatures and scarce rainfall so far this year it could be a challenging summer for us gardeners.

No comments: