Monday, November 12, 2012

Thank You

To all my veterans I want to say thank you for your service and sacrifice. I would also like to apologize for, in many cases, the lack of support you have received from your fellow citizens and government after doing your duty. While there is much progress there is still a lot to be done to make you whole. Nearly 17% of the homeless in this country are veterans and many find themselves in this situation due disabilities suffered as a result of their service. It is shameful and tragic.

I would add that I was very surprised that yesterday after a full shift at Home Depot and checking out hundreds of customer that, in spite of the prominent patch on my apron that denotes that I am a veteran, not one person thanked me for my service. While that may sound prideful and I guess in a way it is as I am proud of my 8 years in uniform, it is really indicative of how many seem to take our service for granted. What is really shameful is that these are the very same people who will be the first to shout out in protest over any perceived denigration of their rights that so many have sacrificed to preserve.

Anyhow, if you happen to know or meet a veteran today make a point to thank them for their service.

No comments: