Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Health Insurance Frustration

Well, my COBRA benefits end at the end of the month so I have spent the last few days trying to find replacement health insurance. Not going to happen. I first tried to convert my present Blue Cross to an individual policy. BCBS quoted my $895 per month with a $3,000 deductible pending application approval. It took them about an hour to reject my application. I don't know the reason but I am pretty sure it is because I am a Type 2 diabetic even though it is well under control. I bet my blood sugar on average is better than most non diabetics. That combined with my age (61) was probably the deal killer and I am not sure I really wanted to pay that much for insurance anyway. I called several insurance brokers in the area and all of them told me that they didn't represent one company that would take on a diabetic...especially one over 60 but that the diabetes was enough to insure I probably won't be able to get health insurance at any price anywhere.
One broker suggested that I call the state insurance commissioners office and inquire about the high risk insurance pool that was part of the health care reform. I did and was informed that the state is suing the Feds over the health reform bill and would not be providing insurance under the plan for high risk folks. It looks like I join the millions of other uninsured Americans on July 1. Other than the blood sugar thing which I have well in hand I am pretty healthy for an old fart so I am just going to have to cross my fingers until I qualify for Medicare in four years(if it's still there). I have enough savings to cover anything minor but major surgery or something will mean trouble. Fortunately Madam is already on Medicare and with a supplemental policy is covered very well. I am just going to have to take my chances and try and stay healthy.

No comments: