Monday, June 07, 2010

Squash Fight

Madam and I are having a dispute over squash casserole. The recipe I posted earlier is the one I think is best and closest to what you will generally find around the South with variations. Madam thinks the one our friend Beverly uses for the annual "Dinner From the Garden" get together is better. In order to preserve domestic peace and tranquility I will post Beverly's version as well  since they are different. I think it has too much mayo and I definitely think the addition of Hidden Valley Ranch dry dressing mix is heresy. But whatever. You can try both and decide for yourself. This casserole always goes well at the picnic and everybody always compliments it. I eat it and it is fine but I think the flavor of the squash is better in my recipe. Oh, and Madam will have my version for dinner tonight.

Beverly's Squash Casserole

Butter to grease a 8x8 casserole
12 saltines
4-6 yellow squash sliced thin - depends on the size of the squash
2-3 onions slices - again size dependent
3 large eggs
1 cup of mayonnaise - not low fat
1/2 packet of Hidden Valley Ranch salad dressing mix
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Butter baking dish. Crumble saltines into a large bowl. Blanch or steam squash for 2 -3 minutes until just tender and add to the bowl with the crackers. Steam or blanch onions until they are just translucent. Drain and add to the bowl with the crackers and squash. In a separate bowl beat the eggs with a fork , add mayonnaise and dry seasoning and mix. Add the cheese and combine with other ingredients. Mixing with your hands will keep the squash from breaking up. Pour into prepared baking dish and bake at 350 deg F for 40- 45 minutes.

Doubling the recipe will fill a 9x13 baking dish.

No comments: