Monday, May 10, 2010

Light Off?

I know it has been very quiet around here lately. Just scattered bits with little or nothing to say. The spill in the Gulf is grinding on my mind and I am taking it personally. I haven't written that much about it but I think about it almost constantly and the news just gets worse and worse. My only haven seems to be in the garden where I can focus on other things, simple things that don't require much thinking. It is calming and restorative. I pulled some weeds this morning, there are always weeds, and I am getting ready to go back out and spread a layer of straw around the sweet potatoes I put in the other day. The sweet potatoes will be in the ground all summer and into fall and straw will help with the weeds to a degree and even out the moisture swings and even though the wheat straw will sprout itself it is easier to deal with than the other weeds. Still only 64F at 1pm so it will be a nice cool afternoon to work. There are two pairs of red headed woodpeckers staking out territories on the south and east sides of the garden and if nothing else I can lose myself in their comings and goings. That's the thing about gardening. There are miracles everywhere you turn and when you are quietly gardening the Goddess sometimes lets you sneak a peek under her petticoats.

Oh! and the title of this post refers to the 'light at the end of the tunnel' which lately it seems like someone turned off.

No comments: