Monday, March 01, 2010

Spring is Springing-- Almost

Spent the weekend in the garden again. This time taking out a large poplar that was giving the garden just a bit too much shade in the afternoon. I had forgotten just how big a job a l6 inch tree was to take down and haul off. Just the branches to dispose of today.

My onion sets came Saturday in the mail and I need to get them in the ground asap. I also need to get the various peas in the ground. Tomorrow is forecast for a 'wintry mix' but I think the higher part of the garden is dry enough to till for the onions and peas. The thing is that peas don't like to be too close to onions and I will have to till up two areas so that everyone is happy. I got some seedlings moved to bigger containers as well, chard, parsley, cauliflower, and celery but the cabbage and broccoli are still waiting for a little more leg room...maybe tomorrow if it is 'wintry mixing'.

Now is the time to get the tomatoes and peppers started indoors as well. April 17th is the official last frost date here and that is 6 weeks away. The spring garden rush is here. Along with all the planting and seed starting I need manure and that usually takes the better part of a day. It is not that far away but loading and unloading is tedious as I can't get the trailer that close to the garden so it has to be done garden cart by garden cart.

It may be a little sparse around the blogging with all the garden work I have to do. Off to get some petrol for the old tiller and see about getting some spring tilling and planting.

No comments: