Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Lamb Kebab

Since I didn't get much of a Memorial Day weekend so I thought I would make up for it tonight. Cooked one of my favorites, Lamb Kofta Kebab. Lamb shoulder minced with pistachios, sumac, cumin, fresh thyme and olive oil and then formed around skewers and grilled.  Made some fresh whole wheat pita and served the lamb with macerated Vidalia onions (thinly sliced and soaked in lime juice and salt) with diced fresh tomato and parsley and a little Greek yogurt. I haven't been eating big meals for the last few months but tonight I put away two pitas stuffed with the grilled lamb and fixings. Mighty fine but am I stuffed!
If anyone would like the actual recipe for the lamb kebabs or the whole wheat pita let me know and I'll post them. I've found that most folks(American) don't fancy lamb and they look at you funny when you mention it. I've run into a lot of people that have never even tried it but insist they don't like it. I actually wasn't exposed to it growing up but fell in love with lamb when I was in the Middle Eat. Once you have tasted a slow roasted lamb that has been studded with garlic and rosemary then basted with olive oil and lemon while it slowly cooked over an olive wood fire you won't turn up your nose at lamb. Besides, when they are culling the sheep herds in the spring of the excess males, lamb is cheap eats and good protein which might otherwise go to waste.

No comments: