Monday, March 03, 2008

Springtime is Coming

Gorgeous weekend here in Georgia. Supposed to be 71F today. How about where you are? I spent part of the weekend shopping (Madam is preparing me for the trip to the UK next month) and the rest of the time I spent building bluebird nesting boxes. I went out and inspected the existing ones on Saturday and the squirrels have ruined them by chewing out the hole. Why they have to do that I don't know since the boxes are too small for them to live in. Bluebirds insist on no bigger than an inch and a half entry and so once the squirrel gnaws it out the bluebirds ignore the boxes. I am now trying to figure out how to prevent this but so far all I have come up with is expanded metal mesh around the hole. What would be ideal would be a metal washer with an 1 and 1/2 inch hole but I haven't found any yet.

Speaking of shopping...the retailers are really trying to attract shoppers. Huge discounts on everything. Lots of buy one get one free deals. I guess they are trying to recover from the poor Christmas season. They can't be making much with such deep discounts and I wonder what the retail landscape will look like this time next year.

No comments: