Tuesday, July 08, 2008

I Coulda Told Ya!

When I returned from Beijing last year I coughed and hacked for weeks. I said at the time that I couldn't see any way that the Chinese government would meet the WHO air quality limits in time for the Olympics. The BBC has been following up...

Just a month before the start of the Beijing Olympics, the city is still failing to meet international air quality standards, the BBC has found.

When Beijing bid for the Olympics in 2001, it said its air would meet World Health Organization (WHO) standards.

The BBC put this to the test using a hand-held detector to test for airborne particles known as PM10.

We found that the city's air failed to meet the WHO's air quality guidelines for PM10 on six days out of seven.
Anyone want to make a bet on how long it takes the U.S. media to criticize the Chinese over this?

No comments: