Friday, January 30, 2009

Tubes Fixed

I haven't mentioned it but I have been having major problems with my DSL. For weeks it has been intermittent. It will be fine for a while then just go away and not come back which requires a reset of the modem. I've swapped modems 3 or 4 times.

Finally, with some help from AT&T, I ran some modem diagnostics and we pinpointed the problem. The signal to noise ratio on the line was down around 6-8 and six is the minimum acceptable. This was causing all kinds of CRC errors (thousands per hour). AT&T came this morning and broke out the DSL at the termination and routed it to the modem over a spare phone line and viola! it works like a champ. No CRC errors and the S/N ration is back to 16-18 where it should be. I'm happy. I was reseting the modem 20 or 30 times a day when it was at its worst and I haven't had to reset it once yet today.

No comments: