Saturday, February 16, 2008

16th Century Art Too Racy for the Brits


I can see this happening in the U.S. but I thought the British were a little more broad minded. If they find a painting like this offensive then I must have been mistaken. I thought we had cornered the market on the John Ashcroft's of the world.
London's transport authority has refused to display a poster featuring the 16th-century "Venus" by German artist Lucas Cranach the Elder, saying it is overtly sexual.

The painting, which depicts a golden-haired, milky-skinned woman cocking her hips behind a transparent veil, is one of 70 works due to go on display at London's Royal Academy of Arts on March 8.
I personally would rather see this displayed in the tubes that some of the adverts you see. Shame on you LTA!

No comments: