Friday, February 08, 2008

Hold Your Breath

One of my co-workers ( one of the few non-wingnut ones) alerted me to the following.

The Washington Post reports that U.S. Customs officers have been asking some travelers to open their laptops and hand over their passwords so that the data on the hard drives can be inspected.

As my coworker said, it is getting really hard to keep up with all the civil liberties lost in the name of homeland insecurity, but I'm pretty sure I would have remembered reading something about the dissolution of the 4th Amendment.

Amendment IV
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

No comments: